We all live incredibly busy lives, and although we may do many things for the people who are part of our lives, we could do more for those who are not, as well. Have you ever heard of “paying it forward”? Essentially, if a person does something nice for you, instead of repaying them directly, you do a kind act for another person instead. The idea is that the kind gestures and good deeds will continue from person to person, making the world a better place. The best part is that you can “pay it forward” to someone you know, or to a complete stranger, to spread the kindness.
Here are some “pay it forward” ideas for you to try out:
- Pay for someone’s coffee order
- Leave a good book behind at a coffee shop, or on a bus/ train, when you are done reading it
- Give up your seat to someone who does not have one (i.e. on the bus, in a waiting room)
- Let others go ahead of you in a lineup
- Hold the door open for the person behind you
- Help someone who is having car trouble on the side of the road, if you can
- Bring someone who is sick a care package with food, medicine, etc.
- While driving, allow people to merge in front of you in traffic
- Carry a spare umbrella with you when it’s raining and give it to someone who looks like they need it
- Smile at people as they walk by to brighten up their day
These acts of selflessness will not only make the person involved feel happy, it will do wonders for your mood as well.
In the comment section below, tell us about a good deed you have done for someone recently!